I am looking at putting together an Advanced Citizens Academy Course that would cover special topics not covered in depth in the Citizens Academy or able to be covered during a HCCSAAA meeting. I would like to see if there is enough interest from the Alumni Association in having an Advanced class offered. The class may be a joint operation between HCSO, SMPD, and KPD.
The requirements that would be set up to attend the course would be:
- Attendees must have completed a Citizens Police Academy Course
- Attendees must be a member of an Academy Alumni Association in Hays County
Proposed topics that may be covered are:
- Family Violence Investigations
- Sex Crime Investigations
- Crimes Against Children Investigations
- Cyber Crime Investigations
- Arson Investigations
- Active Shooter
- Death Scene Investigations (optional Autopsy)
- Auto Theft Investigations
- Interview and Interrogation
- First Aid
- Observation Skills and Identifying Suspicious Activities
- Radio Communications and 10 Codes
- Traffic direction
- CPR & AED
- Current Issues in Law Enforcement
- Crime Prevention Techniques
- Citizens on Patrol Certification
Class attendees would be allowed to do a ride out with an officer.
I would like to get your input. Please let me know if this sounds like something our Alumni would like to see pursued.